When I was searching for birds to use on my quilt, I discovered the Tuckfields Australian bird cards, which used to come in packets of Tynee Tips tea. These pretty cards are now highly collectible.
I considered using some of them for the quilt, but I always find photos
printed on fabric a bit plasticky, so I settled for embroidered images -
a bit of a challenge at this scale - and plan to depict the birds with a
bit of greenery or flora, like the originals.
Here's the block so far; I wanted to work the bird first, not much point
lavishing time on embellishment unless the bird is right. I've added a
couple of pieces of trim, too.
A close-up of the bird, which may possibly be some kind of
Scarlet-breasted Parakeet. I may yet add some floral details- I'll see
how it looks when I've done the surrounding seams.